Sunday, November 9, 2008

November 10, 2008

It's two weeks before Thanksgiving. I absolutely cannot fathom how fast this year is going. Someone please stop it.

R A N D O M
  1. Monkey and Bulldog go to gym class. I don't know why this exists. I'm just glad it does. The monkey gets so mad that the bulldog can't do situps!
  2. Obama turns to Hillary for advice. I'm a bit behind on this one, but it's still hilarious. Amy Poehler, we miss you already!
  3. If gay people can't get married, should they still have to pay taxes? Some valid points from Melissa Ethridge.
  4. Kiegel excersizes are silly.
  5. Shafrins in the news! My mom is a star. Is it wierd that this follows an entry about Kiegel exersizes. 
  6. We can all aspire to be professional bloggers. sezura has set the precedent. 'attagirl.
M U S I C
  1. MARC BROUSSARD! PARADISE! TUESDAY NIGHT! UNDER $25! Who's in? I definitely want to go because he is amazing and you should too. Let me know if you're interested!!
  2. Free Video Download. This week, iTunes has made Sia's Soon We'll Be Found video availible for free. It is a stellar video, combining some of my favorite things (sing language, shadow puppets, flourescent mascara...what's not to like?), and in far superior quality than youtube. Get it before Tuesday, when they'll put up something else.
  3. Rejected Bond Themes. I was never a big James Bond guy, but this article is really interesting, linking to the Bond Themes that almost were. Ace of Base? Yes please!
  4. Beyonce does Etta. The trailer for Cadillac Records does not look inspired, nor are Beyonce's previous acting credits. I doubt she will able to capture the spirit of Etta James on screen, but her cover of James's iconic AT LAST is pretty incredible, really following James's vocal stylizings without losing her own signature sound. All you haters, listen to this! Beyonce is an incredible artist! No question! Just watch the video for SINGLE LADIES if you are in question (here is Luam's choreography to it for her class. How fierce is that dumpy one with the fro on right?)
A R T / D E S I G N
  1. A Real Hot Dog.
  2. PAINTING WITH LIGHT. THIS. IS. AMAZING. Probably cooler than the interractive mirror. Stunningly beautiful, fun for kids, and no cleanup involved. Get me one please!
  3. Excavating a burried city. Apparently Bulgaria is turning an ancient, flooded city into a tourist attraction by bringing it back to the surface. Sounds pretty crazy. I'd Go.
  4. Calligraphy in progress. Love the elegant linework, cannot imagine that he makes no mistakes doing this. THere is also a font-generator to show you what your name would look like (just click "typo"). I think...it's not in english...
  5. What I'll do next time I see you smoking. Watch out, cancerfaces.
  6. Using Light as Paint. no idea how these happened, but they are cool.
  7. The art of camoflogue. Public art masking a public eyesore.
  8. Contextualizing art. Cool photos replacing a part of the photo with a preexisting image.
  9. A bar made of ice. I don't know what they're talking about, but this place looks pretty sick. And if you drink enough alcohol you won't even sense the cold!
  10. If I can't have a projector, then I want this TV.
F A S H I O N
  1. Two Amazing Surreal Photoshoots. ONE and TWO (inspired by Roald Dahl! Who doesn't love Roald Dahl!)
  2. Amazing Knitwear Creations. Thank you, Sandra Backlund
T H E A T E R
  1. NINE: The Film. The first picture leaked this week. What a sick cast. And they all look pretty great here. Sofia Loren...how do you do it? I wish they hadn't lost Javier Bardem and Catherine Z-J, but otherwise I'm pretty stoked. Granted, who is going to do it first and better? Harvard will. This January, in the New College Theater. Be there.
  2. Being Alive, the quintet. I saw the DVD of Putting it Together, a million years ago, but did not remember this song at all. What a killer arrangement. I was reminded of it when I saw a group of students from Millikin doing it and while they suffer from a few pitch problems, their less epic performance is more enjoyable. Though god how I love Ruthie Henshall.

1 comment:

jaxie said...

oh my goodness, monkey+bulldog made my night.