Friday, November 14, 2008

November 16, 2008

A jumble. cannot believe it's a week away from Thanksgiving. Jebus.

F U N N Y
  1. Faith Hill loses at the CMAs. Cannot get over this. So glad it entered my life. How you gonna hate on Carrie Underwood, Faith?
  2. Spider as payment. Thanks to tcompton for this gem. I'm glad he gets the spider back.
  3. Worst Mixtape Ever. And the Punishment. Is it terrible that I still like some of the songs on this mixtape?
  4. Cat in a Box
  5. Scream Queen pulls a Jillian
A W E S O M E
  1. Post-its.
  2. New Toshiba Commercial
  3. Candy Land. Love the light-brite table and candy dots table. when was the last time you had those? It's been so long. Also...what a terrible candy. You could not help but eat massive amounts of the paper they came on. 
  4. Coloring book walls. Next best thing to lickable wallpaper
  5. Sprint Widgets. Not exactly sure what this is all about, but it's interesting. Thanks reflynn
  6. Money is pretty. Crazy coins. I'm jealous.
M U S I C
  1. JANELLE MONAE goes corporate. Glad people are catching on. Once again proving that I was on to something when I drunkenly shouted to her at the concert: "Janelle, you're gonna change the industry!" Don't know who invited John Heder into this shoot, but Janelle is amazing as always.
  2. GABE DIXON BAND. So this week I did indeed go the the Marc Broussard concert, which was everything I could have hoped it to be. He even did LET ME LEAVE as an encore, my favorite song. It is astonishing to me that anyone can sound that consistently good live throughout an entire set. And totally different stylings than on the recordings. But another highlight was the Gabe Dixon Band, who opened for him. Not only is this song generally feel-good, the video is genius.
T E L E V I S I O N
  1. THE UNITED STATES OF TARA. New show on Showtime, written by Diablo Cody (of Juno fame) and produced by Steven Spielberg. And starring Toni Collete, who is great in everything she does (and who also has a fantastic voice.) I still haven't seen CALIFORNICATION, but if it's half as good as WEEDS seasons 1 and 2, I'm all for it. 
  2. New Ladies of SNL. A clip from Michaela Watkins' Reel. Funny, no? Interesting how it seems all the ladies these days (and a lot of the guys) they pick are attractive. Harken back to the good old days when people like Mike Meyers, Chris Farley, Cheri Oteri were on the show...who were clearly not picked because they of their dreamboat potential. We'll see how they do. Kristin Wiig manages to be gorgeous and hilarious, why can't they?
  3. Beyonce. And Paul Rudd. On SNL. With a cameo from Jtimberlake. Perfect episode? I think so. Also, Beyonce is actually not terrible in the sketch! It seems her hours of acting training and sham oscar nomination have done some good. Why hasn't she hosted yet? Also check out her doing Single Ladies live. She is such a fucking star!!! Singing live and doing the whole dance (though who hired that skinny white bitch? yeesh...). 
P O L I T I C S
  1. Crazy O'Reilly on Daily Show. The second video is particularly stellar. O'Reilly is such a goon. Watching this show is such a great reminder of what an amazing phenomenon the Daily Show is. It's a comedy "news" show focused on lampooning current events, buthelmed by incredibly well-informed and well meaning people. I truly feel John Stewart is the voice of our generation, and we are so lucky to have him.
  2. Keith Olberman on Prop 8. In case you haven't heard this viral one yet. Very nice things. A good question, however, is why waited until after it passed to say any of them. But I don't begrudge him that
  3. A cure for AIDS? Interesting, figured I'd share.
M O V I E S 
  1. UP. Pixar can seriously do no wrong. I don't even know that this plot sounds that great, but I just assume by default that it will be an incredible movie.
  2. RACHEL GETTING MARRIED. I know I posted about this film a few weeks ago, but I finally saw it and it was stellar. Some of the most painfully uncomfortable scenes I have ever sat through directly juxtaposed with one of such intense joy and beauty. Really well done, I loved it. Plus it features the best wedding ever.
M Y   F R I E N D S   D O    T H I N G S
  1. Sachi is a star. Quoted by one of her idols, so exciting.
  2. Sam Yu, also a star. The small one in the green.
  3. Predator drops. It's milky.


Something I don't like: This Crimson piece on Citystep. What crap journalism! Are you really going to fault a service organization for not helping people who are needy enough? Way to shit on a group of people trying to do a good thing, June Wu. If you're so concerned about kids in underachieving schools, why not join a group commited to helping them instead of writing your crap news pieces.
...Sorry to rant.
OOH! AHH! citystepcitystepcitystepCITYSTEP!

3 comments:

Sachi Ezura said...

oh man, so much to respond to. How do you even have time to sift through everything? I feel like I look at 3 times as much stupid shit for every 1 good video and you've got a heckuvalot:

-I can't stop watching that Faith Hill video. Was that a joke?
-That girl saying "vagina" reminds me of Zarf or whatever saying "I have a penis."
-That girl from American Samurai is hot.
-Those gap ads are phenom. I'm lovin' the We 3 Kings one. Romany Malco is hott.
-I completely forgot that Toni Colette wasn't American. How come she can do such a good accent?
-Yeah, there's been a lot of controversy over the fact that female comedians have to be hot to be famous lately. You've inspired me to write a piece on my blog about this.
-That Micaela Watkins video reminds me of Catherine Keener, no?
-Thanks for the shout-out.

SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

jaxie said...

i googled citystep oohahh and this popped up. i love you and do not want you to graduate i will have no one left to look forward to watching on stage...

Lisa Resnick said...

I'm personally a big fan of things barry likes and wants you to as well
blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
clipping path service