Thursday, November 6, 2008

November 6, 2008

Election themed-post!!!
Here are some of of my favorite things of the past few days. Please comment and add yours favorites so we can share them!

Also, anyone know any sites with some good voter turnout statistics? I haven't found any I find particularly enlightening and would love to see how the year compared.

T H E    G O O D
  1. Obama Photo-Essay. The Globe released this amazing series of huge photos that follow Obama along his quest to be president, and they are beautiful. Some of the rally photos are truly astounding.
  2. Sherri Shepherd on the View. She's pretty much established herself as an active contender for the title of "Dumbest Bitch on the View" (a position usually contested by Elizabeth Hasselbeck). But I have watched this clip at least 4 times and tear up every time. A really, really beautiful moment. Probably my favorite thing on this post today. Even Elizabeth is gracious and well-spoken.
  3. Watching your kids watch history. A beautiful piece on a parent's surprise in how actively her kids engage in the history that happens around them, and how proud she is to witness it. Short and poignant.
  4. Kids write to Obama. These are just beautiful, from a 4th grade class in Harlem.
  5. Maya Angelou on Obama. Pure class.
  6. Why McCain lost. If only he had had Michael Ian Black on as a strategist. He just didn't cheat well enough.
  7. Oprah: The Day After. She's just so happy. It's so unnerving when people scream into a microphone, but it makes you feel like she's really sharing this moment with the audience.
  8. Headlines Around the World
  9. Anderson Cooper blooper. I'm a fan. All his screen time on election night led me to do some digging. And I found this gem. What's so funny there, Erica? Clearly I'm not the only fan. Much like our own Alison Rich, Kathy Griffin's humor is a barometer of sexuality.Skip to 2:20 and guess who finds her hilarious? I rest my case.
T H E...N O T   A S   G O O D
  1. Ellen's response. I've yet to see an impassioned monologue air on her show. So far just this short and broken post on the website.
  2. The almost-VP: Worse than we thought? I love O'Reilly's defense. YES, she CAN learn that Africa is a continent. But one would hope that a US Governor would not be at the bottom end of the learning curve.
  3. Ralph Nader: Uber-Schmuck. Seriously, man. What. The. Eff.
  4. I don't know if this is an awkwardly pointed post for this blog of good things. But it was sent over an open list, so clearly the sender doesn't have too many personal qualms about voicing his hate. He's apparently a senior at Harvard, and while I don't know him I decided not to post his name. I find it incredibly sad that anyone at perhaps the greatest undergraduate institution in the nation could be so proudly ignorant.
    On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM, ***** wrote: You miss the point entirely. The end or purpose of marriage is the breeding and rearing of children, espeically as far as the state has an interest in it. For this to be true, not every single marriage has to result in children, but it would be entirely pointless to have an institution as marriage, say, if everyone 20 years from now, was rendered sterile. There can be no end or purpose of any homosexual arrangement but the gratification of sexual desires, which would be a pretty flimsy premise for an institution such as marriage.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing post. Really amazing. I shared most of it with my mom and we just cried together. GOBAMA!